Dr. Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis (BasMyr) is an audiovisual artist and researcher and a co-founder of Arctos Organisation with Ioannis Zannos and Fiori-Anastasia Metalinou. His research imperatives run along the threads of transmediation, intersemiotic translation, post – disciplinarity, and the general concerns of Human Computer Interaction (HCI). As a PhD candidate under Dr Julio D’Escrivan, he has experimented with various tools and techniques in creating and composing audiovisual materials and works. In his list of works presented for PhD documents his practice based research into transmediation of creative writing to audiovisual narrative, through a combination of disciplines such as computer music, computer graphics, filming, animation, performing elements and interactivity using existing as well as new methods and techniques through algorithmic composition. He has employed a variety of creative technologies in both fields of digital sound and visuals, through algorithmic composition to improvisation developing software interfaces and algorithms in SuperCollider and openFrameworks amongst others, as well as, interactive three dimensional environments in Unreal Engine 4.
– 2012-2016, PhD in Music, University of Huddersfield / Department of Music Humanities and Media, UK, Supervisor: Julio D’Escrivan, Title: AudioVisual works in response to creative writing.
List of works presented for PhD in the order of appearance in the thesis:
– 2012, AudioVisual Haiku No.1: 05:21,
– 2013, AudioVisual Haiku No.2: 07:21 ,
– 2013, AudioVisual Haiku No.3: 05:21,
– 2014, AudioVisual Epic Poetry – Nekyia: 11:21,
– 2015, Aranea (videogame): indeterminate.
– 2005-2012, BA(Hons), Ionio University / Department of Audio and Visual Arts, GR, Supervisor: Ioannis Zannos, Title: A sound synthesis technique based on L-systems.
- Academic Scholar.02.2019- 06.2020 Current Position
Lecturer in the subject of Algorithmic Sound Composition, Department of Ethnomusicology, Ionian University/ Greece.
- Academic Scholar.02.2018- 06.2018 Previous Position
Lecturer in the subject of Algorithmic Sound Composition, Department of Audio & Visual Arts, Ionian University/ Greece.
Lecturer in the subjects of Videogames and Sound/Music for Moving Image, IEK Intergraphics/ Greece.
- Internship: Museum of the Bank of Greece.11.2010-12.2011
Digitisation, video editor, photographer, Bank of Greece/Greece.
- Audiovisual ‘Haiku 01’, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, Holmfirth Film Festival 2013, UK.
- Audiovisual ‘Haiku 02’, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, Huddersfield Video Festival, 2013, UK.
- Video music – ‘Nekyia’ (The Descent), Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, DigitalBigScreen, 2014, Slovenia.
- “Traces” is a real time audiovisual installation inspired by the movement of insects.
Use of creative programming languages C++, Supercollider.Sensors: Camera, pad.
- Live Improvisation and Sonification of Magnetic Storm, ‘StormTrio’ Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, AKOUSMATA-AVARTS Festival, Megaron, 2017, Greece (Under “Arctos” org).
- European Researchers’ Night – ‘Sound Enigmata’, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, 2017, Greece (Under “Arctos” org).
- Audiovisual live coding, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, KET, 2018, Greece.
- Live audiovisual performance ‘Diadromi’, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, Panos Amelidis, Omer Chatziserif. AVARTS Festival, 2009, Greece.
- Weaving Voices, Ioannis Zannos, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, Christos Poulias, Magda Tsagkaraki, Mind The Fact Festival, 2017, Greece.
- Sound Installation ‘Sound Origami’, Manty Albani, Vasilis Pitsilis, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, AVARTS Festival, 2018, Greece.
- Interactive Performance ‘IDE-Fantasy’, Telematic dance for 3 performers with IMU sensors, SuperCollider and Godot Gaming Engine. Natalie Mandila (Jerusalem) – dance, Vaso Florou (Athens) – dance, Tasos Pappas-Petridis (Athens) – dance, Iannis Zannos – idea conception, coordination, Nikos Charalambidis, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis, Panos Tsagkarakis – programming of sound and image, Yiorgos Petras – organizational support in Athens, KSOT, 2019.
Agiomyrgianakis, V. (2019). Live coding and Poetry: A data-driven synthesis technique in Musical Live coding. International Conference DCAC. Corfu.
Albani, M., Pitsilis, V., Agiomyrgianakis, V. (2019). Origami Singing:exploring digital sensors and microprocessors in Interactive art and STEAM education. International Conference DCAC. Corfu.
Agiomyrgianakis V., Metallinou A-F., Zannos Ι. (2017). Real-time sonification of Magnetic storm. In Proceedings of the 10th Panhellenic Congress of Amateur Astronomy, Corfu, 2017, 75-77. Athens: Ellinogermaniki Agogi S.A. (https://ionio.gr/en/news/9994/)
Meta, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis (BasMyr), SoundCloud 2014 (self-release)
Aranea-The Sound of Isolation, Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis (BasMyr), BandCamp, 2015 (self-release)